Choose a Cord that Has a USB Plug
Now that you’re ready to make a temporary charger at home, find any cord that has a USB plug on one end. Before getting started, make sure that the cord is not connected to any device or power source or you risk getting a shock. Here’s what you’ll do next:
- Using a pair of scissors, cut off the end that plugs into your phone or the phone connector and discard it. It makes sense to save as much as the length of the cord as you can.
- Use a marker to measure about two inches from the end. Then, get a blade to gently cut the plastic insulator covering to expose the wires inside. You’ll see four wires in colors such as red, black, green, and white. Some cords have a silver instead of black. In that case, you’ll work with red and silver.
- Untangle the wires and separate them. Fold back the green and white against the cord and secure them in place using tape. Make sure you cover the ends properly.
- Place the edge of the scissors on the red wire and cut away the plastic covering. You’ll remove about 1⁄4–1⁄2 inch (0.64–1.27 cm) from the end of the wire.
- Twist the filaments of the metal inside.
- Now, repeat with the black/silver.
- Place the Juul flat with the light facing up.
- Insert the ends of the red and black wires into the golden slots at the bottom of the Juul. Avoid the innermost and focus on the right and left-hand slots. Push the wires in as far as they will go so you get a secure connection.
You can now connect the USB end to a power source and start charging. Check that the light has started flashing.
Keep these Precautions in Mind
A few pointers that you must keep in mind:
- The Juul has a lithium-ion battery that has a lot of energy. Your DIY charger may not quite work the way you expect it to.
- Make sure that the black and red wires don’t touch or you could risk a short circuit.
- You’ll want to use a power bank or wall charger. Avoid connecting to a laptop or any other electronic device. In case something goes wrong, you might end up destroying the more expensive gadget.
- Once the Juul is fully charged and ready for use, unplug the cord from the power source and store it carefully. It is important to understand that the live exposed wires can start a fire if left connected.
- If you don’t see the lights flashing, try connecting the cord to another USB source.
- Always place the DIY Juul Charger where you can keep an eye on it while it charges. Keep out of the reach of kids and pets since the exposed wires are hazardous.
- Once you adapt a cord for charging up the Juul, never even consider changing it back to a phone charger. Always choose an old cord for your DIY project that you won’t need afterward.
Some Additional Tips to Help You
Here are some additional tips to help you get the job done quickly and efficiently.
- It is always advisable to work on a flat surface. Once the connection is set, you can allow the Juul to charge without disturbing it. To make sure the setup does not shift accidentally, you could tape the wires to the surface where you’re working. Taping the entire contraption to a foam board also works. You’ll conceal the wires that are not needed, and add stability for a steady charge.
- A pair of wire cutters, pliers, or a basic blade will work well too. You’ll only need to take care of how much of the insulation you cut away and not damage the wires inside.
- Most iPhone chargers have four colored wires. But, if you’re using an Android charger, you might find that it has only red and black wires. That’s fine too.
- Try cutting a bigger section of the wires. You can then braid the ends of the metal together and curl them a little to increase the charging surface. This tip can get you more efficient charging.
- Instead of folding back the unwanted green and white wires, you can choose to add them to the DIY Juul charger. Once you’re done cutting the plastic covering of the red and black wires, also trim the green and white wires. Next twist the red and green wires together. And then, the black and white wires. Make sure you don’t leave any loose ends that might connect and result in a short circuit.
- Here’s another alternative. You can choose to remove the extra green and white wires by trimming them at the base.
Harnessing the Magnetic Feature of the Juul
As any seasoned Juul user, you’re probably well aware that that the device is magnetic. That’s how you can balance it atop the charger. Using this property, you can add to the stability of your DIY Juul charger. Here’s how:
- Follow the steps in the section above from 1 through 7 and separate the red and black wires.
- Next, find a key-ring. Locate the ends where you’d insert the key and holding it apart, place the ends of the wires. Run them around so that you have them perfectly spaced to fit the slots at the end of the Juul.
- Make sure that the insulator sections are securely held in the ring and you have only the metallic ends poking out. A little adjustment may be needed to get the exact space right.
- Remember not to let the metallic filaments touch the ring. If that happens the entire contraption will short out, which is something you absolutely don’t need.
- All you need to do is place the Juul on the ring and it will adhere to the device because of the magnetic power.
- This simple solution gives you perfect stability so you won’t have to worry about the possibility of shifting. Your DIY Juul charger will work quickly to have the Juul ready for use in no time. The keyring serves as an excellent port until you can buy an original company-manufactured charger.
Just an added tip – placing the charger on the table helps. But, you should be very careful that you don’t touch the ring or the wires when the Juul is charging. Take care to disconnect the USB before touching the Juul.
Alternatives for the Keyring
In case you can’t find a keyring, there are other alternatives you can try. You’re sure to have a couple of iron nails or screws lying around. As before, use the directions above to separate the different colored wires. Combine the white and black wires. And then, combine the red and green wires. Twist them with your fingers into separate braids and curve the ends to create a loop.
Connect each wire to a nail or screw by passing the points through the loops. Set up the nails on a foam board and connect the tips to the left and right-hand slots of the Juul. The magnetic action will hold the nails in place. Tape the entire setup and then, connect the cord and USB plug to a charging station. Just as you would with a keyring, take care not to touch the nails or the foam board during the charging. Carefully disconnect the USB and only then should you pick up the Juul. It goes without saying that you absolutely must keep kids and pets away.
You Can Use Any Kind of USB Cable with a Plug
Now that you’ve honed your skills a little, know that you can use any kind of USB cable as long as it has the plug. Some cords have an added insulation layer below the outer white plastic covering. Peel back the silver coating along with the additional filaments and trim them. You’ll find the red and black wires as explained above. In the unexpected chance that the wires are not the standard red, white, green, and white, you can still work with them. To begin with, remember to use a power bank if you’re experimenting instead of plugging directly into a wall socket. You’ll avoid the possibility of a short circuit.
Next, try connecting different color combinations, in turn, until the charging light of the Juul comes on. What you really need is a positive and negative charge. If you don’t have an iPhone or Android cord handy, you can try any other cable and get the job done.
Prepping the Juul with Your Favorite E-Juice
Just as you can build your DIY Juul charger, filling Juul pods with your favorite flavors is also easily done. As long as the e-liquid is compatible with the Juul, you can try a whole range of brands other than Juul. Click here to find a tutorial on how to refill Juul pods.
Using this quick and handy tips, building you’ll soon have a DIY Juul charger ready for use. Of course, you must keep in mind that this charger should be used only in the case of an emergency. It is always advisable to use a company-manufactured charger that you can order at the Blackout Vapors website. If you’d ready to place an order, click on the Add to Cart button. Have additional questions, we’d love to help. Contact Us by adding your information on this page. Put down your query and we’ll get back to you soon. If you’d like to talk to a live agent, we have team members on standby at this number: (716) 370-6134. Call us today!